Over the next few weeks our Cargo Services team will be contacting all clients to request updated power of attorney (POA) documents. Our goal is to have updated POA documents completed for all clients by the end of 2016 (about 60 days from now). The following information is background as to why we are undertaking this process and general information on the completion process. Thank you in advance for your patience with this update process.
Compliance is an evolving process in daily business activity. One of the most important documents that an international logistics provider has with its clients is the import and export Power of Attorney document.
Cargo Services is a member of the National Customs Brokers and Freight Forwarders Association (NCBFAA), which works closely with government agencies. Relationships with U.S. Customs and Border Patrol and the Federal Maritime Commission, ensure our industry and company follows current regulations on our client’s behalf.
The NCBFAA recently updated Power of Attorney (POA) forms for imports and exports requiring Cargo Services to update documents on file for all clients. The following information is needed to have a complete and legally binding POA on file with Cargo Services.
- A valid federal ID number.
- If company operates as an LLC, we need a list of the members, partners and/or officers who have the authority to sign the POA.
- The POA must be signed by a corporate officer—president, vice president, treasurer, secretary, CEO, CFO, CIO, COO, for example. Director level is not an acceptable title for U.S. Customs. Note: If manager or director has the authority to sign a POA, a copy of the addendum that gives them the legal authority to sign must be provided to Cargo Services.
- If the company is a partnership, the POA is only effective for 2 years. A copy of the partnership agreement also is required to be on file with Cargo Services.
- If a company wants to add a date to revoke the POA–Cargo Services needs at least 30 days notice before the POA can be revoked.
- Foreign POAs must complete the “Corporate Certification.”
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact a Cargo Services team member. We will provide answers and clarifications about the POA update process.